Avenues Counseling offers group counseling for those wanting to work through the healing process in a community with others dealing with the same struggles.
Group counseling can present a number of benefits to those seeking healing in their lives; which is why we strive to offer a variety of groups as paths to emotional wellness. Learning and growing together in a group provides an invaluable, guided experience through the support, information, and process of moving together with others who understand your experience.
View our group options below or contact us for more information.
Groups for Men
S.T.A.R.T Groups – Sexual Trauma and Addiction Recovery Therapy
We offer an 18-week therapy group focused on helping men learn about, understand, and heal from sexual addiction. Through the course of the group, members will gain increased self-awareness and learn how to have a healthy relationship with sex.
- Create an environment of relational safety to foster a community of support.
- Develop healthier patterns for expressing relational needs and sexual desires.
- Equip participants with better coping skills.
- Increase ability to have more satisfying interpersonal relationships.
- Increase internal awareness.
- Learn how trauma experiences can impact relationships with sex and sexuality.
- Commit to attending all 18 weeks. More than one unplanned/unexcused absence may result in removal from group.
- Meet with an individual counselor 1-2 times a month (it is not required that your counselor be an Avenues’ counselor).
- Meet with group leader prior to the start of the group to learn more about the group to ensure this is the best group for your needs. The fee for this 30 minute meeting is $30.
- The group will meet on Saturday mornings from 8-10AM, next group starts January 4th, 2020.
- The cost per group session is $40 (included in this fee is the L.I.F.E. Recovery Guide for Men, by Mark Laaser). Payment plans and scholarships are available upon request. Please speak with the group leaders for more information.
Sam Bearer, LPC – Learn more about Sam here.
How Do I Sign Up?
To get more information about this group or to schedule your intake appointment, please contact Sam Bearer, PLPC, at [email protected], or call him at 314-632-6587.
Groups for Women
H.E.A.R.T – Healing Emotionally After Relational Trauma
This 15 week therapy group focuses on supporting women affected by a partner’s sexual betrayal. Through this group participants will gain increased self-awareness and learn how to begin healing from the pain of betrayal to healing and hope.
- Thursdays, from 10am-12pm, beginning January 16, 2020.
- $40 per group session (materials included). Payment plans and scholarships are available upon request.
How do I sign up?
- For any women interested you will need to meet with a group facilitator for a brief intake meeting to ensure this group is right for you. Cost for this intake session: $30 dollars
- Please contact LaTonya Allen for more information: [email protected].
Latonya Allen, PLPC. Learn more about LaTonya here.
Nevi Castro-Miller, PLPC. Learn more about Nevi here.
A Gift to Myself
This group will help us discover the ways that life’s difficulties give us the tools to grow. We can break free of the pain that comes from having an adult relationship that has proven to fall short of our needs for emotional support and heal from surviving a childhood with at least one emotionally unavailable caretaker or abusive relationship.
- Materials Needed: “A Gift to Myself” workbook by Charles Whitfield, M.D. Further reading: “Healing the Child Within” same author.
- Dates: This group will meet for 10 weeks, bi-weekly, beginning Tuesday, March 5th, from 7:00-8:30 pm. (Meeting dates will be 3/5, 3/19, 4/2, 4/16, 4/30, 5/14, 5/28, 6/11,6/25, 7/2)
- Participants: 5–8
- Facilitator: Kathi Wallace, LPC. Learn more about Kathi here.
- Cost: $300 total. $60 to pre-register and monthly payments of $60 thereafter.
- How Do I Sign Up? Contact Kathi at 314-626-4285 or [email protected]
Groups for Adolescents and Children
The Children’s Discovery Group Experience (ages 8-11 or grades 3-5th)
This 8 week group is designed to help your child release worry (anxiety) and embrace full sensory, consistent coping skills, better breathing practices and healthier hopes. If you are looking for ways to help your child discover adaptive styles to better cope with their worry then this group may be a great fit for them.
The earlier we equip children to effectively cope with their anxiety to more confident they will be!
- The group will meet on Tuesday evenings from 5:30-6:45pm, beginning on January 14, 2020.
- Total group cost is $280. ($80 due at the time of registration to ensure your child has a spot in the group.)
- Your child will be taught using research based expressive therapies combined with some helpful EFT (Emotion-Focused Techniques) methods, and we will explore adaptations for thinking anxiously by using art, therapeutic play and games to have group experiences.
How do I sign up?
Contact our Office Administrator, Candace, at 314-529-1391 or Kathi Wallace, LPC, RPT at [email protected]
Lead Facilitator: Kathi Wallace, LPC, RPT. Learn more about Kathi here.
Co-Facilitator: Nevi Castro-Miller, PLPC. Learn more about Nevi here.
Peacemakers for Teens (grades 8-12)
This 10-week group that meets bi-weekly, is ideal for teens who become discouraged by tension in social circles or within family dynamics. Typically teens who benefit the most from this group struggle with anxiety when a situation requires them to speak up for themselves or experience high anxiety when doing a school project. These teens may suddenly erupt or shut down. This group also benefits those who struggle with depression from leadership pressures.
This group will use art, music, and expressive group techniques. Group participants will be encouraged to incorporate their spirituality and common sense to heighten awareness and the development of peacemaking skills.
Individual or school counselor referrals welcomed. Without a referral, an individual assessment prior to group is needed.
- Build peer leaders using role play interactive games.
- Practice effectual interpersonal skills while motivating group participants to balance tensions of school, social life, and relationships at home.
- Bi-weekly, Wednesdays, 5:00-6:30PM (meeting via tele-health while shelter at home is in place. After shelter in place is lifted, sessions will meet from 5:30-7PM.)
- Groups are limited to 5-8 participants and will meet weekly for 10 weeks beginning on April 22nd. The group will also meet on May 6 & 20, June 3 & 17, July 1, 15, & 29, August 12 & 26.
- Please pre-register to reserve a spot! The cost for the group is $300 ($60 to pre-register; the remaining balance is due at the first night of group. Arrangements can be made to allow you to make 3 monthly payments if there is a financial hardship.)
- Group Facilitators are Kathi Wallace, LPC, RPT, and Davis Sweatt, Intern.
How Do I Sign Up? To reserve one of the remaining spots, contact Kathi at 314-626-4285 or [email protected] to let her know your teen plans to attend. At this time you will be asked to pay the initial $60 to reserve a spot for your teen and the initial paperwork will be sent to you to complete.
- If another counselor has referred your teen for group, please sign a release with the counselor to allow Kathi and the counselor to connect on your teen’s care.
- If your teen was not formally referred by another Licensed Counselor, then an intake session is needed to ensure this group is a good fit for your team.
- Parents / Legal Guardian must leave cell number with counselor if they are leaving the agency premises and must pick up students by 7:00PM.